"Keep a Journal: How else are you going to get a good look at who you were?"

Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Hello world, I almost died - twice!

It has been a few years since I last updated this blog. You see; I had a Grand Medical Adventure. 

This Wild Ride began in mid May of 2021, over a year after my headlong fall down the entry staircase of my basement suite in South Surrey. I always said going up and down those stairs was going to make - or break! - me. Well, after that fall, I was pretty broken. Remember that dislocated clavicle I had? Well, it was forcefully relocated for awhile after that incident. 

Let's  have an honest assessment of my health after January 2020:

  • I was 285 pounds and 'pre-diabetic'. Now, 285 pounds was my average weight. My actual weight was as high as 305, and I saw 275 lbs for a little while, after I started working out and obsessively weighing myself on the digital tare scale at work. 
  • My waist was 52" around. 
  • The issues that began in my lower back had moved to my hip joints, and my mobility gradually declined to where I started using Bridget's cane to help me get around. I then lost Bridget's cane (sorry, Birdie...).
  • My favorite form of exercise was now too painful to do. I had completed the RANGER folding frame ATB. (It turned out awesome, BTW!) I ended up donating it to Kath. 
  • I was eating crap. A change of diet was definitely needed.
  • My personal hygiene was pretty good, but I was neglecting cleaning and upkeep of my living quarters. Most notably; in my tub/shower. 
Not very surprising then, that I picked up a Group G Streptococci infection in my legs. It started with a small scratch on one calf in the shower; but it soon spread to both legs, below the knees. After TEN DAYS of not correctly treating the infection, AND ignoring Kim's advice to go to a doctor and get some antibiotics; I had a lovely set of running sores on both lower legs. 

Saturday, May 29th, I went to work as usual. I then noticed the puddle of pus I'd left under my office chair. I excused myself from work, drove myself home, and called BC Ambulance service.  

That was my last Normal Day.

Sorry; but I will have to stop here and pick this up later. 

No comments: