"Keep a Journal: How else are you going to get a good look at who you were?"

Saturday, September 10, 2005

I re-read the tag end of that previous post. I sound like such a cynical jerk, don't I? The Nawlins Deesasster. What a circus. Funding being diverted, pumps failing, levees breaching, disease-ridden floodwaters in the streets, forced evacuations, lootings, shootings, raping and pillaging and general mayhem...oh my.

I'll say it again...never should have built a city there in the first place.

FEMA - you got some 'splainin to do!!!

I read a story in F&SF a few years back called "Gas Man". A near-future setting where most of the Gulf Coast and Florida are under water, gangs of pirates roam the seas, fighting over the few remaining low-lying islands, and our "hero" the Gas Man - a salvage diver for hire, sumping out old Truck Stop fuel tanks for the precious gasoline contained therein...

Interesting premise, given current trends in storm intensity, and gas prices. The bad news with this premise, of course, is the Malthusian die-off that reduces the population of the Gulf Coast and Florida by about 99%. Mark my words people, it's gonna get mean out there...we're already well on our way.

On to happier things. KWY got the Tech Corps site up and (mostly) running. Go to www.tech-core.com to see more. Will need to ramp up efforts to recruit more (part time, initially) techs and get some advertising out to the neighborhood. Esp. for our virus-and-spyware cleaning services. What we're really looking for are careless, clueless, net-newbies will lot$ of Ca$h...
I am REALLY hoping and praying that this venture takes off. KWY is going to be putting a LOT of work into this and it may be a good thing he is taking a LOA from his present day job to pursue this dream. He's gonna need every spare moment he can get.

As for my dreams, they're on hold for the moment. Typokillers.com is available, but I don't know any webmasters who can build me a site ('cept KWY) and I don't know the first thing about DIY website building. I understand it can be done, but I've never done it...

In other activities; my two-wheel passion is cooling somewhat, with the coming of Autumn. I still have to get the Townie Cruiser I'm building for Trudy finished. It is functionally finished as is now, but I need to install a stand, basket, rack and fenders to really "deck it out". Might throw in a Lock, as well. Dave Fulton gifted me the big Raleigh ATB frame from his garage, and now it looks like I can re-build black beauty on the new frame. Freddy Fender needs a BB overhaul as well. All these bikes to do, and no desire to do 'em! Sometimes I regret working so much overtime at the DC. I'm sure some of that regret will fade when I see my next paycheque, however...

No comments: