"Keep a Journal: How else are you going to get a good look at who you were?"

Friday, March 28, 2008

It's Snowing outside...

Spring was supposed to start sometime around March 20-21...I guess this is Winter's Last Gasp...I hope.

It's 1PM as I write this, and the snow is still persisting. Actually, the snow is still falling. We've got a massive arctic air mass upon us and it's causing freezing rain; with snow at higher elevations. We live at a higher elevation.

I've almost got the Junker back together. It has been going rather slowly; not because I can't remember how to put all the various components of the dashboard back together, but rather I've forgotten which order to re-assemble them in. I'll get a panel back on or a widget replaced, and then realize there's something else underneath it that I haven't yet finished with. I have also been performing regular checks as each part gets re-assembled, and so far everything works like it's supposed to.

All this effort, and I've only managed to solve issue #1 of the three major mechanical issues this car has. I was not even able to find a proper OEM heater core to replace the leaking one. I had to purchase an aftermarket replacement that was designed for a Toyota! The replacement fits in the cradle inside the airbox all right, but it's narrower than the original. Some creative use of a drill, some 1/4" roundhead screws, and a couple of pieces of 1/4" x 1-1/4" cedar lath strips helped me get a proper fit. I also had to cut about 1-1/2" off the connection pipes in order to get the hook-up hoses to fit properly. The gentleman at RJ radiators said that if I had to do that, I would also have to use two pipe clamps to attach the hoses. No Prob.

I still don't know if it will work yet. But you out there in the Unseen Audience will be among the first to know. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: