"Keep a Journal: How else are you going to get a good look at who you were?"

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Well, it doesn't run...

...yet.

I think I set the static timing wrong. I may have over-finessed the position of the distributor rotor...or maybe it just needs a new rotor and cap. I'll pull it and check it over tomorrow. I also tried to hook up the new battery the wrong way around and almost fried something...

Today has not been a terrific day.

We're hip deep in stock transfers. We're also short staffed. I was switching between a short reach and a high reach to both pick and load the transferred stock. I was using a high reach to shove a skid off a loading ramp and into a trailer...

...when I rolled down the loading ramp and hit the bottom of the overhead door with the reach mast.

Nuts.

Now, this is only about the sixth or seventh time a loading door has been hit this way. We all know that the high reach machines are never, ever supposed to be anywhere near a loading ramp...

Disregard the rules and correct procedures at your peril...and it will bite you on the ass.

Especially if you are honest enough to 'fess up afterward.

SO:

"By the Book Brian" is not going to be bringing high reaches anywhere near the loading ramps.

Plus, I have to re-take the OPAL course on Machine Operator Safety. Last time this happened they made me re-certify.

It took MONTHS. I am not kidding. I was taken off the machine on or about November 15, 2007 for a "rack bump" that may or may not have actually occurred. But as I am an honest soul, I reported it anyway and even though there was no evidence at all...I still admitted that I had not been "following procedure" to Carlos. I finally got re-instated January 19, 2008...once the planets were aligned and the moon was in the fifth house of Aquarius. I do try to be on good terms with people; especially people I work with...but I didn't like Carlos. I really didn't like the way the whole thing was handled, either.

No comments: